Ever-growing library of first grade worksheets PDF for you to download for free!
First grade is full of exciting new things to learn!
In first grade, children build on the skills and knowledge they acquired in kindergarten. They learn to read on their grade level and master basic algebraic operations within 100.
So let’s have a look at some of the main standards taught in grade 1.
First grade outline of math, reading, and writing skills
In first grade math, children expand their number sense and ability to read, write, and work with numbers beyond the first ten.
They will count and write numbers up to 120. And also learn more about place value of two-digit numbers, an important skill in solving addition and subtraction problems. Children will also use their understanding of the number composition to compare two-digit numbers.
They learn to add and subtract within 20 while demonstrating fluency in addition facts to 10. Later in the year, first graders also work on adding numbers within the first 100.
First graders also grow their measurement skills by comparing the lengths of two objects. They will learn to tell time, recognize coins and learn more about 2D and 3D shapes.
English and Language arts
In first grade, children build learn another set of sight words and learn to decode simple words even if they can’t sound them out. They learn to read short books but also work with text and comprehension.
First graders are able to write all the letters of the alphabet in both, upper and lower cases. They capitalize the first letter in a sentence and understand ending punctuation in a sentence (e..g question mark).
They practice simple words spelling and learn about digraphs – two letters making one sound such as ch, sh, th, etc.
Read with and to your children even when they can do it on their own. The more they read the better they get!
Science and social studies
Besides math and English, frist graders get to learn about the world around them through simple and fun science experiments and often, first field trips to local community.
They learn about nature, weather, their five senses, community workers, families, technology, and more.
Free printable worksheets for 1st grade
Here’s a list of first grade worksheets. They are all free to download. Simply follow the instructions on each article.
And make sure to check back often as we add new worksheets regularly.
1st grade math worksheets pdf
- Missing addend addition with sums to 20
- Number line addition and subtraction worksheets PDF
- Mixed Addition and Subtraction within 20 Worksheets
- Adding multiples of ten for first grade
- Skip counting by 5 worksheets
- Addition to 20 with regrouping for grade 1
- Addition to 20 without regrouping math drills
- Subtraction within 20 with pictures
- Addition to 20 worksheets with pictures
- Place value worksheets for 1st grade
- Ten more ten less worksheets
- Skip counting by 2 worksheets
- Telling time worksheets – quarter past, quarter to and half past
First grade number worksheets
- Ascending and descending order worksheets
- Number line to 20 worksheets
- Counting backwards worksheets
- 100 Number Line
- Number words 1-20 worksheets
- Blank number bonds worksheets
- Missing numbers on a number line worksheet
- Fall connect the dots printable
- Greatest and smallest number worksheets
- Comparing two-digit numbers up to 100
- Ordering two-digit numbers worksheets
- Summer missing numbers worksheets 1-100
- 120 chart with missing numbers
- Free printable number tracing worksheets 1-100
- Numbers to 100 – before, in between, and after
- Easter missing numbers 1-50
English worksheets for grade 1 PDF
- Free printable days of the week
- Sight word scramble – Dolch sight words
- Letter b and d confusion – practice worksheets
- Copy the letters worksheets
- Halloween color by lowercase letter worksheets
- First grade sight words spot and dot
- First grade sight words dice game
- First grade Dolch sight words tracing and writing