Free printable sight words worksheets and activities for preschool, kindergarten, and first grade.
Below you will find all the sight words worksheets and printables from around Planes&Balloons.
Whether you have a preschooler at home who is just starting to read their first words or a beginner reader, sight words are a great way to encourage their efforts!
Teaching sight words helps promote literacy as well as reading and spelling fluency in later grades.
All the worksheets and activities below are designed around the Dolch sight words list, which includes the most common 315 words in English language (220 “service” words and 95 nouns).
Sight words are divided into groups for each grade, so children can build their high frequency words vocabulary continuously.
So far, I’ve created activities and sight words worksheets for grades pre-k to grade 1. And I keep making new ones, so make sure to come back and get more of my free printables.
Preschool Sight Words Worksheets
My preschool sight words worksheets include all 40 so-called pre-primer sight words. Children will play find & color game, learn with sight words flash cards, or make art with sight words coloring pages.
- Pre-primer sight words checklist and memory game – a fun way to work on sight words in preschool
- Pre-primer sight word sentences – read the first sentences with sight words
- Pre-primer sight word flash cards – great for quick sight words activity with your preschoolers
- Dolch pre-primer sight words coloring pages – make fun art with these large printable sight words
- Do a dot preschool sight words worksheets – spot and dot sight words activity
- Preschool sight words matching – let’s see if your students can spot the same sight words in each column
Kindergarten Sight Words Worksheets
These kindergarten sight words worksheets include activities such as sigh word search, spot, and color sight words, sight words scramble, and more. Kindergarten students will practice their 52 sight words from the Dolch list.
- Sight word practice – read, trace, write and find all the sight words
- Simple sentences to read – read first sentences with sight words and CVC words combined
- Dolch sight words tracing – a great way to practice sight words and writing all in one activity
- Sight words search for kindergarten – find and cross out sight words in this word search for kindergarten
- Candy sight words activity – practice sight words from the Dolch list with candy-inspired worksheets
- Sunny sight words worksheets – spot the sight words and color the suns
- Kindergarten sight words scramble – unscramble the sight words with these fun worksheets
- Summer sight words – a printable full of seashells for the summer at the beach
- Spring sight words worksheets – butterflies and cocoons to color
- Green eggs sight words – a fun printable for the March season
- Winter sight words printable – color the mittens with favorite colors
- Spring kindergarten learning pack (includes Color by sight words page)
- Christmas words activity pages – practice most traditional Christmas words with these holiday worksheets
First Grade Sight Words Worksheets
I have only recently added first grade worksheets to this site, so expect my list of grade 1 sight words to grow in the future. For now, here are a few of Dolch sight words activities for first grade (41 sight words).
- Sight word word search – find all Dolch sight words in this word search activity
- Sight word scramble – unscramble the sight words and write them down
- First-grade sight words spot and dot – use bingo daubers to finish these worksheets
- Sight words dice game – roll and color sight words game for first graders
- Dolch sight words writing and tracing – trace and write the sight words
For tips and tricks on how to teach sight words to young learners, read this on-point Scholastic article.
More FREE printables
More English language worksheets
CVC missing vowel worksheets
Ending sounds kindergarten worksheets
CVC middle sounds worksheets
Beginning sounds worksheets
Beginning sounds cut and paste
Cut and paste upper and lowercase letters
Hot chocolate letter matching
Free printable ABC letter find